Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Speaking of creamed soup...

This is a true story.

As I said goodnight to this handsome, tall young man after our first date, I knew I wanted to see him again. Like any good LDS girl, I also knew we needed to meet in a group setting. So I asked my date, James, if he would be going to our singles wards' Thanksgiving potluck the next night.

"Uh, sure," was his response. So I said I would see him there, and tried not to look too eager.

The next night came, and I stressed (again) over what to wear. I finally ended up with a vest/t-shirt/jeans combo that was very 90s in style. I also worried about what to bring... this was a potluck, after all, and I needed to provide something. However, I was living at home with my parents, still going to their ward, and the only time I attended this singles ward was to join in the activities with my cousin or sister. I hadn't been to a Sunday meeting, and thus hadn't "signed up" to bring a specific dish. So what does a young lady bring on short notice to a potluck?

I looked around my mom's kitchen. I had ten minutes until I was supposed to be at the church building, which was seven minutes away. I hadn't time to bake pies, rolls, casseroles... what to bring? I decided on a classic: creamed beans. Two cans of green beans, one can of cream of mushroom soup, microwave for five minutes. Done.

Now I called to see if my cousin was going to the potluck and I could get a ride. She wasn't planning to go. My sister was doing something else. I had never been to this ward by myself, so I felt nervous. But I thought, "James will be there," and drove over to the church building where we were meeting.

I walked into the building and quickly surveyed the crowd... probably 100 young adults were there, but not one of them was James. And I quickly realized that I knew absolutely NO ONE. I felt painfully shy, embarrassed, and out of place. I put my bowl of beans down then stood at the back of the line as the crowd began to sidle down the potluck table. I felt like I could cry... why did I even come? What was I doing here with all these strangers? Maybe I should take my creamed beans and go home...

Just then the girls in front of me introduced themselves, began learning a little about me, and asked me to sit with them for dinner. I began to relax, filled my plate, and sat at the end of a long L-shaped table arrangement (carefully making sure that one empty spot was right next to me, just in case James came).

I was  midway through the meal when HE came. My heart sped up, my palms grew sweaty. He was here! He and his roommates walked in and started filling their plates. I lost all track of conversation among those sitting near me at the table. I carefully arranged the chair next to me so it was obvious it was open. I watched as he took some turkey, took some mashed potatoes, took some salad, DID NOT take any creamed beans. Hmph.

Then he was at the end of the serving table. He had his plate in his hands. He walked toward me where I was sitting... closer and closer... I was so nervous I couldn't meet his eyes... he was two feet away... then he turned and walked right past me and went to sit on the OPPOSITE end of the table! I leaned forward and looked down the table... he and I had thirty people between us. Conversation was impossible.

Now I was absolutely certain I shouldn't have come. I finished my dinner. I wanted no pie. I sat silently while the conversation around me dwindled and people started to leave. As I got up, I saw James get up too. He walked away from the table... and a group of five girls approached him. He talked with them, then walked away. The five girls followed him to the other end of the gym! He talked with them, then with some other fellows. Then he went to the exit of the gym. I decided I would at least say hi. But then he was surrounded again by the knot of five girls! I inched my way closer... I squeezed between all these girls and the wall... I reached between two girls and barely touched his elbow, saying timidly, "I just wanted to say hi before I left."

James turned and grabbed my arm. "There you are!" he called. "I've been looking for you. Can you wait a minute? I wanted to ask you something." Five pairs of female eyes glared at me. I stepped back and pressed against the wall, happy but confused, embarrassed and elated. He finally dismissed the group of girls with a "good to see you again, yes, thanks" and turned back to me.

"Did you just get here?" he asked.

"No, I was here before you. I saw you come in."

"Oh. My roommates were late and I had to get a ride with them. I'm sorry I didn't see you."

"It's ok. Did you like your dinner?"

"Yeah, it was good. Did you bring something?"

"Yes, I brought the creamed beans. Did you have some?"

"Uh, no... I must have missed them." A look crossed his face, something between disgust and relief.

"Oh, well I was just going to get my bowl and go home."

"Well, that's what I wanted to ask you..." and James proceeded to invite me to watch a movie with him and another couple later that night at his apartment.

He may not have liked creamed beans, but it didn't stop him from asking me for a second date. In the end, it all worked out alright. (And now we've been married for 15 years... and I have never again made creamed beans.)

1 comment:

  1. You are the love of my life, so sweet and kind. None of those girls had what you have: A pure spirit, a quick smile, radiant beauty, an eternal inner warmth, and...oh yeah...the ability to cook. How is it that after all this time you can still make me smile?! (Not to mention you still my belly.)

    ReplyDelete